Day 6 Olympics highlights
Wow! Another day of exciting Olympic action. It was a wild day that saw some impressive performances. Here’s just few of them and the top highlights from Day 6 of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London:
- The USA men’s basketball team destroyed Nigeria 156-73 and set some pretty impressive records in the process. Among them include:
- Largest margin of victory (83 pts)
- Most points in an Olympic game (old record was 138 pts)
- U.S. records for 3-pointers (26), field goals (59) and FG% (71)
- Well done USA basketball, well done.
- Kayla Harrison won a surprise gold medal for the US in Judo, the first ever gold for the US in that event.
- The U.S. women’s eight rowing team won gold.
- The men’s indoor volleyball team beat a very good Brazil team 3-1. The US is looking good.
- The men’s water polo team beat Great Britain pretty easily 13-7.
- Big night in swimming for the men and women. First to the women. Rebecca Soni set a world record in winning the gold in the 200m breaststroke with a time of 2:19.59. Missy Franklin surprisingly failed to win a medal in the 100m freestyle, but she’s still had an amazing Olympics.
- For the men, Tyler Clary stunned the stadium crowd when he beat teammate Ryan Lochte for the gold in the 200m backstroke. Clary set an Olympic record with his time of 1:53.41. Lochte won the bronze. Lochte had another chance to win gold in the 200m IM when he battled Michael Phelps in their last meeting in the pool. But Phelps had other ideas, winning the gold medal while Lochte won silver. It’s been a little disappointing for Lochte since he won a gold medal in his first race. Phelps has another couple of chances to get more medals.
- Finally, in women’s all-around gymnastics, young Gabby Douglas won gold, becoming the first African-American woman to win the all-around gold in the event. Good for her. She is very talented. And congrats to all of the winners. They’re doing great and have pushed the United States of America ahead in the medal count with 37 medals, eighteen of them gold.