This game could decide the future of the 2013 Dallas Cowboys. Aaron Rodgers hasn’t been cleared yet, but you know he is licking his chops looking at this Dallas defense. The game looks a lot better for the Cowboys if he doesn’t play, either way, this is a win at all costs type of game. We have to keep pace at a minimum with the Eagles, and that starts by winning on Sunday.
We all know the woes with this defense, and I am sure not a lot is going to change in the last three weeks of the season. So how exactly are the Cowboys supposed to win the next few weeks? There are some small things they can do on the defensive side of the ball that could help, but it could be on Tony Romo and crew to load the scoreboard. I hope he is ready. While Tony hasn’t been the 300 yard passer, he is doing a good job of protecting the ball and moving the team down the field. This week may be one where he needs to be the 300+ yards guy.
So where do we go from here? Well let’s all look at what they can do to win this:
1. If Rodgers plays or not, the Cowboys D will have to find a way to get pressure. DeMarcus says he “Knows For A Fact” he will get pressure, but it might be time to start blitzing, not just rushing the front 4.
2. Get physical at the line. Both lines need to be physical of course, but I also mean the CBs. They need to knock receivers off their routes. I know I have heard many fans asking why the CBs play so far off. Well, it is part of the bend don’t break theory, but it needs to change.
3. DeMarco Murray needs to run. This will help Romo more than anything. He thrives off the play-action pass. If Murray can get rolling it will free up the game for Tony.
4. Tackle. I love that this defense can get turnovers (it might be the only thing they do well). I do not love that, instead of tackling, you see 4 guys trying to strip a ball while the WR or RB is getting an extra 4 yards. Just tackle the guy.
5. GET A PUNT! Sorry to yell, but this defense has to find ways to get off the field. A repeat of last week won’t win many ballgames. Nor will it cause hope to survive another week here in Dallas.
So for a song this week, I think I will turn to two legends because it so fits with how this team must feel. Queen & David Bowie – Under Pressure. They need to get some, and I am sure they are feeling some.