I wanted to wait until we got a final update on Tony Romo to do my last game preview of the season. It was then I realized it didn’t matter who was the QB, the strategy will be the same. While having Tony out will most likely hurt the team a little, there are still things the Cowboys can do to win this game and get into the post season. While we can look at the first game for some of the things they can do, this Eagles team is better than it was then.
Assuming Kyle Orton starts for the Cowboys it only changes the balance and a few routes for the WRs. Kyle Orton can throw the ball, but is not the escape the rush, deep ball threat Romo seems to do almost every game. If Romo can go his health will be closely watched. If Romo can go and wins imagine the story on every sports website, blog, TV and radio show. We won’t even dream that yet however.
So what exactly can the Cowboys do to win the game? Well, here are the keys to victory.
1. Run the ball. DeMarco Murray will be relied upon to carry the ball and keep the Eagles potent offense off of the field. He has been able to run over the past few weeks and the Eagles are suspect against the run.
2. Move the WRs around. Even with Romo the Cowboys have to find mismatches. This Eagles defense has a lot of glaring weaknesses, expose them and create good match-ups.
3. Get to Foles in a hurry. Nick Foles is playing out of his mind right now. However, he becomes very average when he starts getting knocked down. This was one thing in the first game that helped the Cowboys win.
4. Swarm McCoy. Look Shady is an amazing runner, but watching him, if he can’t make a cut he gives up on his run. Get to him early in his run attempt and he is not as effective.
5. Scandrick on Jackson. Orlando Scandrick has the tools needed to cover DeSean Jackson. Putting him on Jackson allows Carr and Claiborne to be physical with the other WRs and should allow the pass rush to get to Foles.
So that is the down and dirty basics on how this Cowboys team can win this game. It really does come down to this. Win and playoffs here we come. So the song for the last week of the regular season? Beastie Boys – (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (to Party) of course.