After the Wildcard round and all but one of the Bowl games had been played I thought it would be time to update my mock draft. I will cover the first round for everyone and all seven for the Dallas Cowboys.
1. Houston Texans – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, LOU – The Texans are pretty sold on getting a QB, while I am sure Manziel will make them pause since he is a Texas kid, I think they go stronger with less off field character issues.
2. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M – This is a difficult pick, I see St. Louis trying to trade out. If they keep it many see Clowney, but I see them locking down their tackles for years to come.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Blake Bortles, QB, UCF – Again I think they will look at Manziel, but Jacksonville goes with Bortles, he is from Florida and might be the most NFL ready now.
4. Cleveland Browns – David Carr, QB, Fresno ST. – Again another QB, I think it comes down to Manziel and Carr, if Cleveland doesn’t make a splash at RB or WR in FA, I could see the case for Manziel. It is basically 50/50 here. I think they go arm here.
5. Oakland Raiders – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M – I would have put Hundley here had he not returned to college. I just think they Raiders need a franchise QB, they will look to see if Manziel is that guy.
6. Atlanta Falcons - Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA – I know they need OL help and if Matthews is there they get him instead. But the Falcons need a star on D and this gives them that.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, SC – The Buccs are so excited he fell this far, they scoop him up in about 2 seconds.
8. Minnesota Vikings – Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri – I know they want a QB and unless they can trade up they miss one of the top 4. They have a HUGE need on D, and this helps a ton.
9. Buffalo Bills – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson – They will be cheering all day up in Buffalo. They need offense in the worst way.
10. Detroit Lions - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State – This may be the biggest weakness in Detroit. I could see taking Watkins if he falls to complement Megtron. But that would not help as much as Dennard.
11. Tennessee Titans - Khalil Mack, DE, Buffalo – The Titans had a pretty good secondary, they just need a pass rush. Mack will give them some pressure.
12. New York Giants - Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama – Eli was sacked 40 times this year, they need to protect him and Kouandijo will sure up some of their line.
13. St. Louis Rams – HaHa Clinton Dix, S, Alabama – If the Rams haven’t traded or gotten Matthews with the first pick the other way I could see them going is Gregg Robinson the OT out of Auburn. But it would be a bad idea to pass on Dix.
14. Chicago Bears - Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame – They would covet a guy like Tuitt and help get their defense back on track.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Gregg Robinson, OT, Auburn – They need to shore up their OL and since Robinson is still on the board they jump at the chance to take him.
16 or 17. Baltimore Ravens – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M – I could see them going with a tackle, but they missed Bolden and Flacco needs weapons.
16 or 17. Dallas Cowboys – Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame – I could see if HaHa is still on the board they could go that direction. Either way the Cowboys need help on defense in the worst way, Nix is a step in the right direction.
18. New York Jets - Marqise Lee, WR, USC – The Jets need weapons and Lee gives them one. I think they could go TE as well, but Lee will be good to pass up.
19. Miami Dolphins – Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State – How Jeff Ireland hasn’t helped his OL is beyond me, this season he will.
20. Arizona Cardinals - Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame – The Cardinals need OL help, Martin will be the best available at this point in the draft.
21. Green Bay Packers – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota – They need a TE for Mr. Double Check, but they can get that later. Hageman will flourish in Green Bay.
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson – The Eagles need a better defense and Beasley will add a little bit of scary to their defense.
23. Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina – The Chiefs have a nasty D when healthy so they could go that direction, however, they really need more than Charles in KC, and Ebron gives them another weapon.
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida – They need to get younger and healthier at CB. With only Kirkpatrick performing really well, they go Roberson.
25. San Diego Chargers – CB Jason Verrett, CB, TCU – The Chargers need some nasty in their defense, Verrett is physical and will help a weak secondary.
26. Cleveland Browns (via Indianapolis Colts) – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama - You have to protect your shiny new QB.
27. New Orleans Saints - C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama – Everyone is surprised he is still on the board and the Saints pick him up to lock down their ILB position.
28. New England Patriots - Allen Robinson, WR,Penn State – Brady wants more weapons at WR, and the ownership is happy to give him Robinson.
29. Carolina Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State - Steve Smith is turning 35, the Panthers have to find a replacement and Benjamin will hopefully be that guy for them. I could see them getting the copy of Smith in Cooks. If that happens just switch picks 29 and 30.
30. San Francisco 49ers - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State – Another weapon on offense after missing out on Manningham and given Boldin’s age and contract, this is a smart pickup. Again if Panthers go Cooks, they take Benjamin.
31. Denver Broncos - Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford – The Broncos need help on D, and Murphy fills one of the most glaring holes for them.
32. Seattle Seahawks - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan – One of the few things the Seahawks need is OL help, with the best guards being gone they go tackle instead.
So once the first round is done the Dallas Cowboys will most likely have a DT. In the next five rounds they have some holes to fill. Rounds 2-7 for the Cowboys are: (No TE Jokes in this draft!)
Round 2: Dion Bailey, S, USC – The Cowboys need DL help, but Bailey looks like he could be the next Eric Weddle. If he is on the board I could see them picking him in the 2nd.
Round 3: Kelcy Quarles, DE/DT, S.C. – I think Quarles could be really good. He might drop to the third round since he doesn’t get the press Clowney gets.
Round 4: Brandon Linder, G, Miami - I think they address a backup Guard here. They will need some depth at that position.
Round 5: Denicos Allen, OLB, Mich St. – This kid is good, and I mean really good. The reason he drops? Size. If he can bulk a little and keep his speed and skillset? This is a steal.
Round 6: Max Bullough, ILB, Mich St. – The Spartans call this kid the computer. He corrects his coaches. Only reason he would be here this late is he got suspended at the end of the season, there are some apparent character issues. But in the 6th round you are looking for a steal and special teams.
Round 7: Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio St. – Those of you who read know I am big on Guiton. He came in for Braxton Miller this season and did incredible, even in the bowl game he did what he had to do. He has a huge potential and sitting for a year or two will only help him get better.
So there it is, my first full first round mock draft and all seven rounds for the Cowboys. This will of course get updated with more detail as we get closer. Let me know what you think. This would be an A- to A draft for the Cowboys if it fell this way, I think. With Jerry Jones you never know.