As Cowboy fans we focus on our team year round and tend to just casually look at what other squads are doing when it’s in the news. With it being almost training camp season, now is a perfect time to have a quick refresher on what the competition in the NFC East has done during the off-season. The division looks to be wide-open once again and each team has taken steps to improve itself following a less-than-stellar 2013 for everyone but Philadelphia, and even they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs!
New York Giants
- 2013 finish: 8-8 2nd place in the NFC East
- 2014 1st round pick: WR Odell Beckham, LSU
- Key Losses: DE Justin Tuck, WR Hakeem Nicks, S Ryan Mundy, CB Terrell Thomas, LB Keith Rivers, OT Kevin Boothe, TE Brandon Myers, DT Linval Joseph
- Key Additions: RB Rashad Jennings, T Charles Brown, DE Robert Ayers, S Quintin Demps, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, C J.D. Walton, CB Zack Bowman
- Key 2013 Facts: Eli Manning tossed a career-high 27 interceptions in 2013. The team did not have a 1000 yard rusher or receiver. Despite major injuries on defense, the Giants still finished ranked in the top 10.
- Burning Questions: Will losing a leader like Justin Tuck hurt more on the field or the locker room? Despite 2 super bowl wins, how much time does Tom Coughlin have left as coach? Can Eli Manning rebound from a disastrous season again?
- 2013 finish 10-6 (0-1 playoffs): 1st place in the NFC East
- 2014 1st round pick: LB Marcus Smith, Louisville
- Key Losses: WR Desean Jackson, WR Jason Avant, QB Michael Vick, RB Bryce Brown, S Patrick Chung, S Kurt Coleman, DE Clifton Geathers
- Key Additions: S Malcom Jenkins, QB Mark Sanchez, RB Darren Sproles, CB Nolan Carroll, LB Bryan Braman, T Andrew Gardner, S Chris Maragos
- Key 2013 Facts: The Eagles finished last season ranked 2nd in total offense. QB Nick Foles threw just 1 interception on throws of 20 yards or more last season. Philadelphia’s starting five offensive linemen only missed 98 snaps all year.
- Burning Questions: Will Chip Kelly’s offense continue to dominate the NFL this season? Can the 2nd worst ranked pass defense in 2013 improve? Is Nick Foles really a 27TD and 2INT quarterback?
- 2013 finish: 3-13 4th place in the NFC East
- 2014 1st round pick: none(traded), 2nd round pick: LB Trent Murphy, Stanford
- Key Losses: LB London Fletcher, TE Fred Davis, S Reed Doughty, C Will Montgomery, WR Josh Morgan, CB Josh Wilson, DE Adam Carriker, LB Darryl Tapp, C J.D. Walton
- Key Additions: WR Desean Jackson, S Ryan Clark, DT Jason Hatcher, CB Tracy Porter, S Tanard Jackson, LB Akeen Jordan, LB Adam Hayward, G Mike McGlynn, QB Colt McCoy, G Shawn Lauvao
- Key 2013 Facts: Despite the 3-13 mark, Washington finished 9th in total offense last year. The Redskins played 7 games against playoff teams last season. Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan combined for 18.5 sacks last year.
- Burning Questions: Will the head coaching change from Mike Shanahan to Jay Gruden produce results? Can Robert Griffin III regain his pre-injury form? How will the loss of veteran London Fletcher affect the defense and morale?