Here we go again… Are you ready for the annual Dallas Cowboys Fans’ Emotional Roller Coaster? One week they’ll look dominant and ‘hard-nosed’, the next one they’ll look inept and Not Good Enough. So, who are these Cowboys? But I mean, really!
It’s hard to know which one of the multiple personalities of this team will take over and become the true identity of the 2013 Dallas Cowboys. However, after 3 games we have seen some trends that suggest what kind of team we’ll have this season.
This much we know:
- Tony Romo will play it safe. Well, as much as possible for a gunslinger-at-heart like Romo. We are heading for the 4th week of the season and Romo has still to throw the kind of careless interception so characteristic (and frustrating!) of him. Sure, the offense is a little bit more boring, and the spectacular statistics may not be there this year. But I gladly change all that for more wins.
- The offensive line will be better than last year. No question about it. Not only Travis Frederick and Ronald Leary have been solid additions, but Tyron Smith continues his development as a building block of this franchise for years to come, and Doug Free just seems to play better when his paycheck is smaller. The jury is still out for Brian Waters and Mackenzy Bernardeau. But at the end of the day, I think the level of play of this unit will make the difference between playing in January, or having yet another disappointing season.
- Barry Church and Jason Hatcher are true playmakers and leaders of the Defense. This is not disrespect to DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee, and Bruce Carter, this is still their Defense, but it’s always nice to receive a little help from your friends… Hatcher will get a new contract, and Church may even end up playing in Hawaii at the end of the season.
We still have to find out:
- If Dez Bryant will have that monster season everybody is expecting. The talent is there, but it just seems that defenses around the league have noticed it too; so they may choose, like the Giants did, to take him out of the equation daring the Cowboys to beat them with someone else. As in Romo’s case, I gladly change Dez monster season, for more wins.
- If DeMarco Murray will stay healthy. No way to know this one before the end of the season. The Cowboys need him, maybe more than they need any other player in the roster not named Tony. If Murray can avoid getting injured this year, he should get his first 1,000 yards season and his first playoff appearance too.
- If Jason Garrett has what it takes to be a Head Coach in the National Football League. I truly believe he does, I see him coaching the Cowboys for the next decade or so, but he needs to deliver this year. No more excuses, no more wasted opportunities. If he can’t win the NFC East this year, then he’ll never win it.
I think the Cowboys are ready to take it to the next level and change the narrative of mediocrity of the last few years. Garrett has built a solid group of players and the division is there for them to go and get it.
The next few weeks will show us who these Cowboys truly are…
Follow Luis on twitter @dominguez_luisf.
Topics: Barry Church, Brian Waters, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, Demarcus Ware, Dez Bryant, Doug Free, Jason Garrett, Jason Hatcher, Mackenzy Bernardeau, Ronald Leary, Sean Lee, Tony Romo, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith