This may seem like a knee-jerk reaction, but this team needs to blow up the Defense. Two weeks in a row the Dallas Cowboys have given up the most yards in their history. This defense is worse than the infamous 1-15 year. This season has made me believe it wasn’t Rob Ryan, it was the players, or lack thereof.
If the New Orleans Saints didn’t start running the ball in the 4th quarter, this would have been the 5th 400 yard passer this year. Now I realize there are a ton of injuries, but it is clear this defense wasn’t very good to start with. Without Sean Lee, this defense isn’t even college level. This team has a poor pass rush, poor safety play, and virtually no pass coverage anywhere to be seen.
Before the draft I had wanted to bolster the offensive line, the defensive line, and safeties. We picked 1 starting O lineman (Brian Waters was a good signing out of retirement), a backup safety, a backup CB, and that is the end of the list in terms of fulfilling needs. Instead Jerry Jones got two WRs, a TE, and a RB, and it shows. Heck, they even let go of their FB which is also showing.
In the bye week? Well here is what needs to be addressed:
1. Find a pass rush. QBs are eating this team alive with all the time they have.
2. Play the ball. I see way too many catches that aren’t contended. How hard is it to stick a hand out?
3. Tackle. I know that they are trying to strip the ball, but at least wrap the guy up while you are doing it. This team is having issues tackling.
4. Fix the safety play. I don’t know if you need to play more press coverage to allow the safeties to adjust better or if it is too much zone on the back end. Whatever it is, there is very weak safety play.
5. Cover the flats and middle. This defense gives up so many passes in these two spots.
6. Get healthy. There has to be something they can do to prevent all of these hamstring injuries. At any rate, getting some players back will in fact help.
This team will also need to reevaluate itself in the in the off-season, that much is obvious. There needs to be changes, period. In a perfect off-season, this is how it should go:
1. Time for a coaching change, it is obvious Jason Garrett isn’t the answer. He is slow to adjust, and at times looks lost.
2. Time for a GM. I know Jerry will never give up his power, but he needs to admit he can’t draft well.
3. Get some guards. Wade Smith and Matt Slauson will be FAs. Even if a guard is drafted, they need to be considered.
4. Draft a safety or look in FA. Clinton-Dix (Alabama) will be in the draft and Donte Whitner and Michael Mitchell will be FAs.
5. Fix this D Line. Nix from ND and Hageman from Minnesota are in the draft this year and the list is long for free agent DL this offseason.
Sure, I realize all of this won’t happen, but it would be nice if some of it did, because after watching this game it is apparent this team doesn’t deserve to be in first place. The offense isn’t the problem. Giving up 40 first downs, over 600 yards, and only getting two 4th downs is the problem.
Now the Dallas Cowboys head in to a much needed bye week. It will be a week of getting people healthy, and hopefully trying to fix the problems of this defense. Although the way they are playing they will give up 400 yards passing and 100 yards rushing to the bye week. So for the song of this game? None other than Motley Crue – Same Ol’ Situation, because it seems we have seen this over and over again.