Jan 25, 2015; Phoenix, AZ, USA; Team Irvin head coachJason Garrett
of the Dallas Cowboys and Team Irvin running backDeMarco Murray
of the Dallas Cowboys (29) before the 2015 Pro Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
As of today at 4pm the free agency period starts and the 2015 season begins, let’s make some predictions for the Dallas Cowboys. Before we get into who they might get and who they might lose it is important to note that the Cowboys have some space to make a run at a couple of free agents if they are smart about the money. They could restructure some people and with the news of the Tyron Smith restructure I would look at either a Tony Romo restructure or Brandon Carr to be restructured or released as of June 1. But, enough of the technical talk let’s have some fun with a few predictions.
Who they won’t sign:
1. DeMarco Murray – I have a feeling that unless they get a deal done in the next day or so, Murray will be heading to the Jaguars. The Jags have a ton of money to spend and can run Dallas right out of the Murray sweepstakes. If they do in fact lose him it could mean an early draft pick or they will go with Lance Dunbar, Ryan Williams, and a later round pick. It will be hard to replace Murray’s production from last year, but the best OL in football will help.
2. Stephen Paea, Brian Orakpo, and Greg Hardy – These guys will be getting too much money for the Cowboys, while it would be nice some of them are getting a little long in the tooth and others will want more than the Cowboys are willing to pay.
3. Adrian Peterson – He wants $25mil guaranteed and that is if the Vikings will trade or release him. My guess is Arizona will offer more then the Cowboys can afford.
So here are some names that have either been rumored, or a stab in the dark on who would be the value the Cwboys are looking for.
1. Shaun Hill – Yup, I have a feeling the Cowboys are looking for a backup QB and are not as sold on Brandon Weeden as everyone thinks. Hill would be fairly cheap and isn’t the worst option. He isn’t a big arm, but he is actually fairly consistent and smart with the ball.
2. Davon House – I think the Cowboys will look for some inexpensive options at CB and House is just that. He has made the most of his playing time and could be had for less money than the bigger names. He could be a home run for the right price.
3. Vance Walker – I have a feeling Jerry will try to patchwork a DL again if he can’t get a Wilfork or bigger name.
4. Vince Wilfork – At 33 he is getting up there in age and he may come a little cheaper. He can still produce and if he is given time to rest in a rotation he could thrive for a season.
I’m not even going to try my hand at LB. I would think they will try to get Bruce Carter again as well as Rolando McClain, but this position is so up in the air. There are some quality options out there and I would look for the Cowboys to make a run at Malcolm Smith and Karl Klug.
I don’t see the Cowboys really looking at Safety in free agency, nor do I see them really going after a starting RB. The only other thing I could see the Cowboys trying to get is a swing tackle on the cheap. Jeremy Parnell got more money than Doug Free to sign with the Jaguars, so I see them going with someone like Joe Reitz who would come cheaper and is a pretty quality swing tackle.
So there it is, based a little on history, a little on needs, and a lot of guessing we look at the Dallas Cowboys 2015 free agency period. I will warn anyone reading this, don’t expected too big of a name and do not expect the Cowboys to be very busy the first few days. Then again, with Jerry, you never know.