The Dallas Mavericks should consider drafting Marko Simonovic in the second round of the NBA Draft.
The Dallas Mavericks have the 18th pick in the first round and the 31st pick in the second round of the 2020 NBA Draft. Dallas is in need of both a center and an above-average perimeter defender. Marko Simonovic gives the Dallas Mavericks a power forward that can also play center.
Simonovic stands 6-11 and weighs in at 215lbs so there is definitely room to build his frame and add more muscle. The Dallas Mavericks have a great eye for international players and Simonovic could be the next great international pick up.
The Mavericks have a history of trades when they find a guy they like. They traded for Dirk Nowitzki and Luka Doncic on draft night and both players’ success speaks for itself. The chances of Marko Simonovic filling the shoes of Dirk is not likely, but he brings Dallas a familiar stretch skill set.
Marko Simonovic averaged 16.2 points per game and 7.6 rebounds per game in the 2019-2020 ABA League season. He also played in the U20 European Championship and averaged 17.3 points per game and 13 rebounds. He would lead the tournament in rebounds.
The Dallas Mavericks would be drafting a player that has tremendous upside. He could potentially turn into a key piece to the Dallas Mavericks in years to come. Simonovic would be a great piece to the Mavericks puzzle. He would be a great asset to Luka and Kristaps Porzingis.
It may take a year or two for Marko Simonovic to build up the muscle and to adjust to the difference between the NBA and International basketball. The Dallas Mavericks are talented enough to win basketball games. This gives Simonovic enough time to develop and turn into a big piece to the Mavericks success in the future.
The draft profile on Marko Simonovic is promising. He has many strengths and some weaknesses to his game. This is why the Mavericks should wait till the second round to grab the young forward.
Marko Simonovic Strengths:
- Marko would give Dallas a good pick and pop player that can shoot a mid-range jumper
- Simonovic and Luka could play the pick and role game
- Marko has the potential to develop into a great stretch-four
- His mid-range and three-point shot has amazing upside
- Simonovic is light on his feet
- He runs the floor well
- Would give the Dallas Mavericks a solid rim protector
Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis could play a key role in developing Marko Simonovic.
Marko Simonovic Weaknesses:
- Simonovic needs to be more consistent in the post
- His frame could use improvements and needs more mass
- Marko’s post moves need work and his touch close to the basket needs improvement
- His vertical leap is not going to get people out of their seats
- Marko Simonovic has average lateral quickness
- Once Marko builds his frame he will improve on his perimeter defense
The Dallas Mavericks will look at the strengths and weaknesses of Simonovic and realize that a lot of his weaknesses can be fixed. He does not show enough weaknesses to not consider drafting the young talent. The advantage for the Mavericks is that they have two players who also had to adjust to the NBA.
Both Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis had to make adjustments to their games when they entered the NBA. If the Dallas Mavericks draft Marko Simonovic Luka and Kristaps can take him under their wings and develop him. By having Doncic and Porzingis helping Simonovic the
The Dallas Mavericks can find what they need with their first round selection. Then if Simonovic is still available, grab him in the second. The young forward just makes sense with all the upside to his game. The Dallas Mavericks will have a tough decision in the second round, but if they’re planning for the future Marko Simonovic is the right selection.
- Published on 11/04/2020 at 17:01 PM
- Last updated at 11/04/2020 at 14:08 PM