Skip to main content

NFL insider just confirmed Cowboys fans' worst fear about George Pickens

One NFL insider says the chances of George Pickens getting an extension is 'close to zero.'
Dec 4, 2025; Detroit, Michigan, USA; Dallas Cowboys wide receiver George Pickens (3) during the first half against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Lon Horwedel-Imagn Images
Dec 4, 2025; Detroit, Michigan, USA; Dallas Cowboys wide receiver George Pickens (3) during the first half against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Lon Horwedel-Imagn Images | Lon Horwedel-Imagn Images

It wouldn't be a Dallas Cowboys offseason without some drama. Even though George Pickens is signed for next season, one NFL insider is warning Cowboys fans that their biggest concern is about to come true.

Pickens signed the franchise tag for $27.3 million for the 2026 season, but it's clear he wants to be a full-time player for the Cowboys. Pickens' past behavior has been a topic of discussion when we talk about the right player to be at the top of the wide receiver market. NFL insider James Palmer was on Up and Adams with Kay Adams to say none of that matters now and that Pickens' days with the Cowboys are numbered.

"I haven't heard anything from the (Dallas Cowboys) during this entire time that they were planning on giving him a contract extension...There's a reason why the Cowboys were the only team that called, and they got him for a third-round pick because of what happened in Pittsburgh."

NFL insider says chances of a George Pickens extension are nearly dead

The Pickens saga has continued since the middle of last season. Even though Pickens made his first Pro Bowl appearance and his first All-Pro selection, Jerry Jones and Co. still weren't sure if they could get past his maturity issues, as those same problems in Pittsburgh quietly haunted Pickens in Dallas. ESPN's Todd Archer reported that Pickens was fined in the 2025 season.

His on-field contributions were enough to get past all of that, but the franchise tag was about all that saved the Cowboys from having to get rid of Pickens. They won't have that excuse next year, and Palmer is basically telling Cowboys fans to enjoy Pickens' time while it lasts.

Palmer is a respected insider who always appears with the morning talking heads, and unfortunately, if his intel is fairly credible, then this is about the kiss of death that Cowboys fans didn't want to hear.

If Pickens does get $34 million in AAV, which is what CeeDee Lamb is making, it would be two receivers near the top of the market on the same team, and it would set a financial jam for the Joneses, understandably. Not to mention, Dak Prescott is at the top of the QB market, too.

All that can happen at this point is for Pickens to be on his best behavior and for the Cowboys to reward him for the future. It's also easier said than done, but if you're Pickens, do the same thing you did last year. Pickens had career highs across the board with 93 receptions, 1,429 yards and nine touchdowns. If he puts up the same production that dazzled Cowboys fans, expect him to be here for the long run.

It seems like there's mutual love between the fans and players on Pickens, but all he has to do is act the right way, and he will be rewarded next season.

Everything that the Joneses have said signals they want to keep him, and Brian Schottenheimer definitely feels the same way. Pickens already has the support of Prescott, who even said publicly he would stick by his side throughout his career in Dallas.

We still have a whole season to go, so hopefully Palmer has it wrong, but he's a prominent source who fans should take seriously.

Add us as a preferred source on Google

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations