Cowboys Exec Clearly Lacks Faith in Dallas' Current RB Room

Dallas Cowboys EVP/CEO Stephen Jones's latest comments suggest that America's Team might not have much faith in its current running back situation.
Dallas Cowboys chief operating officer, executive vice president, and director of player personnel Stephen Jones looks on prior to the game against the Los Angeles Rams at SoFi Stadium.
Dallas Cowboys chief operating officer, executive vice president, and director of player personnel Stephen Jones looks on prior to the game against the Los Angeles Rams at SoFi Stadium. | Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

An NFL offseason brings big changes to lineups across the league and the Dallas Cowboys aren't an exception. A plethora of spring signings have brought several new faces to the Lone Star State, leaving areas of the Cowboys' roster looking much different than they did at the end of the 2024 campaign.

One area that underwent some of the biggest changes so far is the running back room. After losing Rico Dowdle to the open market, the Cowboys replaced their departing running back by signing veterans Miles Sanders and Javonte Williams to one-year contracts.

Time will tell how Sanders and Williams will perform in their new surroundings. Having said that, it sounds like the Cowboys are already wondering if the duo will be good enough to lead the backfield before even playing a snap.

Cowboys Looking to Add Another RB Despite Offseason Signings

During the NFL's annual league meetings, Cowboys CEO/executive vice president Stephen Jones spoke with team writer Tommy Yarish about the offseason so far. When talking about Dallas' free agent signings, the 60-year-old executive hinted that the team is open to adding another RB to the mix.

"We like the two running backs we signed in free agency and we'll see if there's a young back there as well that can help us in the draft, Jones said. We're certainly wide open to that, and just see what comes our way."

Jones' comments show that the Cowboys don't view either Sanders or Williams as long-term backfield options. While some of that could have to do with them not having played a game in a Dallas jersey yet, it's clear that management doesn't have complete faith in the current RB room, which also features Deuce Vaughn and Malik Davis.

Sanders, 27, signed with the Cowboys after being released by the Carolina Panthers before free agency. The veteran runner is looking to get back on track after failing to live up to the four-year, $25.4 million contract he signed in March 2023. He's coming off a down year that saw him record personal lows in carries (55) and rushing yards (205) across 11 games.

Meanwhile, Williams was healthy enough to play all 17 games with the Denver Broncos last season. The former UNC Tar Heels RB converted 139 carries into 513 rushing yards while also hauling in 52 catches for 346 receiving yards, scoring four touchdowns along the way.

It'll be interesting to see if either offseason signing can run away with the RB1 job. Williams has never hit the 1,000-yard mark while Sanders has only done so once in six seasons but not since 2022.

The duo's lack of elite performances could have the Cowboys looking at some of this year's draft prospects. Jones even referred to Boise State's Ashton Jeanty — who's previously been linked to Dallas — as "the best running back in the draft" in his interview with Yarish.

At the end of the day, it won't be long before Sanders and Williams learn if another RB is on the way to Dallas. The 2025 NFL draft kicks off on Thursday, Apr. 24, as it takes place at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI.

More Dallas Cowboys News & Rumors: