The Dallas Cowboys have been one of the NFL's most productive teams this offseason, signing several players throughout the first three weeks of free agency. As exciting as it's been seeing new faces make their way to Dallas, some Cowboys fans are hoping to see contract news regarding one of their top returning players.
After all, star disruptor Micah Parsons' future in the Lone Star State is up in the air as he heads into the final year of his rookie contract. The multi-time Pro Bowl pass rusher recently made it clear that he wants to make around $40 million annually on his next contract, leaving time to tell if the two sides can hammer out an agreement sooner rather than later.
Although some fans were hopeful that a deal could be finalized before training camp, that seems like a pipedream after the Parsons-related contract drama was taken to a new level on Tuesday.
Micah Parsons Blasts Cowboys After Jerry Jones' Disrespectful Comments
Representatives from all 32 NFL franchises have been in Florida this week for the league's annual meetings. As usual, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones' words landed the eccentric billionaire in hot water when asked how Parsons' agent — David Mulugheta — might impact any potential negotiations.
"The agent is not a concern here... I don’t know his name," Jones said, according to DLLS Sports' Clarence Hill Jr.
Jones' comments are somewhat surprising, especially since Parsons recently revealed that negotiations with the Cowboys were "coming along well." Having said that, it didn't take the former Penn State product long to fire back at the Dallas owner after his agent was disrespected.
"Facts!! David is the best and I will not be doing any deal without @DavidMulugheta involved," Parsons wrote on X. "Like anyone with good sense, I hired experts for a reason. There is no one I trust more when it comes to negotiating contracts than David! There will be no backdoors in this contract."
Facts!! David is the best and I will not be doing any deal without @DavidMulugheta involved! Like anyone with good sense I hired experts for a reason. There is no one I trust more when it comes to negotiating contracts than David! There will be no backdoors in this contract… https://t.co/nxKNSIXLvt
— Micah Parsons (@MicahhParsons11) April 1, 2025
Mulugheta, 42, is a Dallas native who's become one of the NFL's top agents in recent years. He's represented All-Pro and Pro Bowl talents like Jalen Ramsey, Budda Baker, and Jordan Love under the "Athletes First" umbrella, which also features Cowboys franchise signal-caller Dak Prescott. (albeit with a different agent).
What makes Jones' comments even worse is the fact that he's known Parsons' agent for at least two years. After all, Mulugheta is Cowboys safety Malik Hooker's agent, too, and he was credited with landing his client a three-year extension worth up to $24 million back in August 2023.
In other words, Jones either 1) somehow forgot about Mulugheta's existence in less than two years or 2) lied to the media on Tuesday afternoon. Either way, it's not a good look for the 81-year-old owner/GM who's on the hot seat now more than ever after the rollercoaster ride that the last year has been.
Hopefully, the recent back-and-forth between Parsons and the Cowboys only stems from frustration regarding negotiations and nothing more. Dallas fans know better than anyone else that contract disputes can bring out the worst in both sides after last offseason's drama surrounding Prescott and CeeDee Lamb.
Only time will tell if the Cowboys and Parsons can work something out before Year 5 begins. The 25-year-old defender is already among the NFL's top disruptors, having racked up 172 solo tackles, 52.5 sacks, nine broken-up passes, and nine forced fumbles while recording four Pro Bowl appearances, three All-Pro nods, and two top-three Defensive Player of the Year finishes.
If the Cowboys want to keep that brand of dominance in their locker room, Jones better reacquaint himself with Mulugheta before it's too late.